October 15th 2014 marks three months since we
lost our girls. It also happens to be the National Infant Loss Awareness Day
which is pretty fitting. I got to celebrate this by being as physically close
to them as possible. It’s a long drive from where we live to where they are
buried so it is something I’m thankful to have the opportunity to do. Annelise
helped me pick flowers for them and I told her I was going to bring them to her
sisters. I spent the afternoon reading to my girls as I wish I could do every
day and sang them the lullabies they would have heard every night that they
were with us.
They would be three months old….smiling, cooing, sleeping
longer stretches, aware of everything around them. Somehow I feel their absence
more with each passing day, not less. The void feels bigger. Time is supposed
to heal and I suppose in some ways it does. I used to dream about them every
night and wake up thinking that I felt their movement in my belly again. I
would replay the moments where I got to touch and kiss them over and over and
over. These things are starting to fade although I’m not sure whether I’m glad
about that or not. In the same breath my love for them only grows as any
mothers love does. With every new little thing Annelise learns I find myself thinking
of Aimee and Grace and how quickly they would be learning as well.
My girls have
taught me a lot about how to be sensitive to other people’s struggles and
losses. They’ve shown Jeff and I our need for God. They’ve reminded me to hold
what I want loosely and what it truly means to live with our eyes fixed on
heaven. I can’t imagine a pain much worse than losing your children and in some
ways I feel like the world around me should freeze just as my life feels
frozen. But that’s not the case. Everyone’s life keeps going. There are joys
and hardships, reasons to celebrate and grieve. Life carries on, there’s no way
around that; when I find that too hard to swallow I remind myself that Gods
steadfast love is just as constant.
Someday maybe I’ll feel more ”myself” when it comes to friendships and
life in general, or maybe I never will. That’s ok.
I’m so thankful for Grace and Aimee. They were given to our
family for a reason. Someday my life too will feel like it’s moving on and
although I fear that it will mean we have forgotten our precious twin girls
that won’t be the case. We are blessed to call them ours and to love them
forever. I hope God will continue to use them to glorify His name.

Their marble headstone is due to arrive soon...
ReplyDeleteAngela, You share with such honesty and love. It is the gift of the Holy Spirit working in your life. God is transforming you and His love for you is so immense as you go on this journey here on earth.
ReplyDeleteMay you always know that Aimee and Grace are undeniably grateful for the love you continue to give them. You have and always will love them in a way that only a mother and a father can love them.
Keep singing to them. Keep thinking of the milestones. One day your loss will be replaced with joy.
Hold onto Annelise and continue to show how compassionate and glorious God is in your life. We love you.
Ang, I had come to the computer to let you know we are thinking and praying for your family this 'day before' here in the States, but 15th of the month there. I believe that you will one day remember the girls and have a joy that surpasses understanding... maybe the trust of mine and others is that which you hold to today. God be with you and Jeffrey. We love you! XO
ReplyDeleteYour testimony is going to be used so mightily by the Holy Spirit- yes, a huge sacrifice- unfathomable- but as you and Jeff process, you are going before so many broken, aching others who need direction to their Savior. I pray you accept the strength He gives for the task ahead. You have inspired so many already. Truly remarkable, you are Angela. Sending love to you.
ReplyDeletedear precious ones, I was thinking of your baby girls as they neared their 3 month birthday; the ache and loss never goes away as you wonder what joy they might have brought your family. Only God can walk with you through your lives as there is a sadness you will always hold in your hearts; He will restore your lives gently and gradually day by day. You are changed forever as they touched you all even though it was for such a short time. we love you Aimee and Grace and Angela, Jeffrey and Annelise. mom and dad
ReplyDelete