Our family of five
Last week was filled with happiness, hope and excitement.
Between the busy hours of Jeffrey’s work and fun outings with friends, we
rearranged our bedroom in order to make it more spacious for a baby change
table. Our large walk-in wardrobe was fitted out to accommodate a portacot for
the twins to become a small, close-by baby room. I scoured gumtree (craigslist)
several times a day looking for good deals on things I knew we’d need as our
family rapidly expands. We are 16 weeks along but the size of my belly makes me
feel more like 30 weeks and I knew in my head that I may only have a couple
more months of energy and stamina to “get things done.” I cherished the moments
that Annelise laid her head on my belly and I told her that her siblings are in
there. She has no idea what that means and she probably is just excited that
she knows where mama’s belly button is but nevertheless, it was precious. I
enjoyed being past the “I feel chubby” stage to actually looking really
pregnant.
On Tuesday I drove myself in to RPA Hospital for another
routine ultrasound, something they would begin to do every two weeks from here
on out to check that the twins were growing at the same rate. Because my twins
share a placenta I’m part of the “high risk twins clinic” and the doctors
themselves conduct my ultrasounds. Previous ultrasounds showed not one but two
beautiful little babies jumping around inside of me. They appeared to be as
active and busy as Annelise was on ultrasound so we were preparing ourselves
for a handful…! This time as I lay down I clearly remember that the biggest concern
on my mind was whether it was still too early to determine the sex of my twins.
Within twenty minutes, the obstetric registrar completed her
assessment of the babies, laughing about how twin #1 was laying his/her head on
twin #2’s bottom and bumping him/her, making visualization difficult. She
suggested that I go empty my bladder before finishing off the ultrasound. When
I came back in the room, the consultant who had been sitting in the corner of
the room working on his own paperwork greeted me and started asking me
questions. “How tall is your husband? What does he do? Where is he now?” I
thought these were all nice but peculiar questions for a very busy doctor to be
asking. He had me lay down again and pulled up the machine to take a look for
himself. Then he asked if there was any history of genetic syndromes in our
families. My stomach dropped when he asked this. It reminded me of our very
first scan at 7 weeks when the technician asked me after a long silence if
twins ran in our family. Except this time my stomach dropped even further. I
told him “no” and he proceeded to take a look at my babies, calling out numbers
and measurements to his registrar.
“Your babies bones are measuring a little short. At this
point it’s a small discrepancy…a matter of millimeters…but I look at twin scans
all day and this is enough to catch my attention. I want you to see my
colleague who is a specialist in fetal skeletons and who is also a geneticist.
I suspect there is something wrong with both of your twins. …then again it
could be nothing” he said at the end, trying to offer a bit of hope.
His registrar, who is also a highly trained obstetric doctor,
was a little more straightforward. “I want you to have your husband here
tomorrow and I want you to brace yourself that this may mean your babies aren’t
going to make it” she said. “Oh, and it’s a little early to tell, but I think
your twins are girls” she said at the end.
Tears started streaming from my eyes as I quickly collected
my belongings and raced out the door. I couldn’t believe I was one of those
people…walking out of fetal medicine unit…walking out of hospital…with tears
running down my face. One of the people I used to see and feel sad for. Poor
Jeffrey had to hear me bawling on the phone to him amidst a busy day at work. I
spluttered out the story between sobs and he promising to get home as soon as
he could.
After what felt like the longest 24 hours in history where I
cried more than I thought humanly possible, Jeffrey and I were back in the
ultrasound room. We were terrified but hoped this scan would show something
different. The specialist looked and measured. Our hearts melted when we saw
Twin 1 sucking her little thumb and both of them playing and interacting with
each other. They were so busy and seemed to enjoy each others company. Moments
later he quietly turned the machine off, rolled his chair over to a desk which sat
between us and said “I’m afraid I don’t have any good news.” My heart broke
even more than it had already been broken. The thread of hope I held onto in my
restless sleep the night before was gone. “Your babies have a rare skeletal
issue that is…not compatible with life.”
My mind kept thinking back to the other voices during all
our scans: “their brains look great, their hearts are fully formed, they are
moving around fine and have all of their fingers and toes…” how can bone
measurements be sending my babies to their grave?! The doctor said a definitive
diagnosis cannot be made until amniocentesis results come back or possibly
until after the babies are born but that everything points to one rare genetic
mishap. This “error in genetic coding” is a random accident of nature and
nothing we can cause or carry, he explained. This provided surprisingly very
little comfort to me despite the fact that I’d agonized endlessly in the last
24 hours over whether I could have eaten something wrong or done something to
cause this. “They will keep growing inside of you, the bone length discrepancy
will get bigger as time passes, but ultimately their chest/ribs will not be big
enough when they are born to support breathing and that is why they cannot
survive.”
I began to break down at this point. “Would you like me to
stop?” the doctor asked as he could tell I was barely able to see the paper he
was drawing on through my tears.
“No, this is helping” I answered. Jeffrey held his arm
around me tightly and I could see the tears welling in his brave eyes as well.
The doctor knew it was too much for us to absorb but offered
his support in whatever decision we would make. He said “You may say to me that
at 16.5 weeks, with all of this information, you would like to ‘interrupt this
pregnancy’ given the fact that all of the specialists at the hospital agree
that these babies will not survive. But remember we are just here to support
you in whatever path you choose, not to tell you what to do. We are here for
you anytime, whatever you need”.
I told him
right away that we would not be terminating this pregnancy but would appreciate
advice on what to do from here. Jeffrey managed to say that we love these
babies; this is the life that they have been given and although it is short we
want to honor that life. When they are born we want to look into their eyes,
give them a name and say goodbye. We want to love them and care for them for
the whole of their short lives. To be completely honest, accepting the alternative
seems so much easier. The thought of enduring four more months of pregnancy is
daunting. I’d have to figure out how to answer the happy comments and questions
about my belly that I receive on a daily basis. I’d need to go through another
cesarean to deliver two dead babies. Milk would come in for babies that will
never drink. My body would forever wear the marks of carrying twins to term.
It’s all too much. “I want this to all disappear right now” I thought. In the
same breath, I felt ashamed for having those thoughts about my babies. God’s
creation, not mine. God’s gift to this world, not mine. And I cried. And cried. And cried.
Jeffrey and I walked out, defeated and broken. I saw a happy
couple leaving hospital with their newborn twin boys and I felt a stabbing pain
that I realized then would become an all-too-familiar feeling in the months and
years to come.
As I started to accept that this was really happening the
anger welled up inside of me. “How could God be good? How could He do this to
us?! Why should we even pray, how can it do any good? How could this be undone anyway!
We are good, loving parents, we have so much love to give these children! Is
God angry with us? Is our faith too weak? Have we not done enough to serve Him?
Do we not give Him enough? Have we not prayed enough? Do we not have enough
love or empathy for others that He feels we need to carry all this pain
ourselves? How could this be good for us and for others, how could it bring
glory and honor to Him?! How does he think that we can cope with something as
terrible as this?” I’m embarrassed to admit that these were definitely among my
first thoughts.
We were thankful to get home to our beautiful little girl, a
13 month old with so much life that you can’t afford to be depressed around
her. She gave us a huge smile as we walked through the door and I sobbed as I
held her tight. Every moment my heart broke a little bit more, though. Hearing
Annelise say “mama” and run to me with outstretched arms broke my heart. I will
never hear these babies say mama. As I changed her diaper, I kissed her tummy
and she giggled. Tears flowed. How I long to hear these babies giggle one day.
My mind is exhausted from trying to make sense of it all and
refuses to give me rest. I wake up all night hoping that the deep ache I feel
will be gone and that this nightmare will vanish...but it doesn’t.
Jeffrey and I are hurting. Deeper than we ever thought
possible. But somehow we have also been sensing moments of peace and I know
this is from God thanks to the loved ones who are grieving with us and praying
for us. We can pray for a miracle. God is big and I know this in my head and we
really do want a miracle, we want complete healing. But, to be honest, I’m too
scared to pray for that. I’m too scared to allow a thread of hope into my heart.
I’m afraid that my “miracle” may be that their little bodies allow them to live
a few days or months but that God will eventually take them from me. Maybe my “miracle”
involves endless surgeries. That’s too hard. God must know that. Then again,
this is too hard. I don’t know what to pray for.
In our moments of peace and clarity Jeffrey and I talk about
the fact that this is their life. Life is short for all of us but our babies’
lives are very short. Somehow we get to know that the only life they will
experience is inside of my belly, but they don’t know anything else. When we
think about that, it’s pretty great. We are happy they have each other and our
love. They are comfortable and warm; they get to play with each other, they
listen to us talk and they are with their mommy 24/7. When I think about it in
this way the sadness and anger I feel towards my expanding belly dissolves and
I am thankful that I get to give them a nice life. We want their lives to be
remembered. They are people that God created. They are part of our family
forever. Their hearts are beating, their brains are learning and they are made
in the image of God.
Psalm 77 offers raw comfort: “Will the Lord spurn forever
and never again be favorable? Has his steadfast love forever ceased? Are his
promises at an end for all time? Has God forgotten to be gracious?...Then I
said, ‘I will appeal to this, to the years of the right hand of the Most high.
I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes I will remember your wonders of
old.”
Lamentations 3 says that “the Lord will not cast off
forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the
abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve
the children of men.”
And my hope is that Lamentations 3:21 soon becomes a reality
in my heart and mind:
“But this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: the
steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they
are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ‘the Lord is my portion’
says my soul, ‘therefore I will hope in him.”
We know that this will be a tough journey so please pray for
us as we seek to honor God in this incredibly difficult time.
so glad you created this venue for us to grieve with your family and love you on, sweet friend. beautifully written. xo
ReplyDeleteSuzy..hold your babies close,as you pray for your sweet Angela...
DeleteI agree with your suzy... Thanks,hon..sharing this difficult time you are in...allowing us,a window in. We grieve with you..we love you...lifting you daily to our savoir...
ReplyDeleteAngela and Jeff, My heart breaks for you. 5 years ago, we lost our little girl, in similar circumstance and take comfort that our darling girl did not have to struggle in this life, but is in the loving arms of our great Heavenly Father. We will see her again one day, as you will see your girls. You and Jeff are in our prayers. We know it is painful, and still five years later, the anniversary of her birth and death is a painful time, but I'm thankful to God for the short time we had with her. I will pray for you and Jeff. for peace, to trust the Lord remembering that your children are in his care, in this short life and the next. I pray for you over the next few months as their births approach that you will be able to enjoy the time that is left, and that you can trust the Lord for the rest.
ReplyDeleteWith much love and prayers...
Amy Herman
Angela, I don't know you personally, only through our mutual friend Erin. But I came across your blog and cried at my desk at work. Will be praying fervently for you and the family... I cannot imagine what emotions you are dealing with right now. As you lean on the Lord and rely on His strength and perfect faithfulness, I pray for His peace to fill you every single day... *hugs*
ReplyDeleteDear Angela, my heart is very heavy as I receive this news. Know that I am among those praying for you and your lovely family. I am blessed by your courage to honestly tell your story. I am so proud of you as well...choosing life and faith. Praying you sense God's loving presence moment by moment. Much love, Robi
ReplyDeleteAngela & Jeff,
ReplyDeleteWhat a heartbreaking time you are in, as you press on in the Lord's Plan for you....You don't know us, but we have some similarities in common, but different.
We know Maia & Jeff through our son Brent and daughter-in-law, Kristi. Keith has just retired from practice as an Interventional Cardiologist, and I am a retired nurse. As parents of 2 sons and twin daughters, your experience during the ultrasound brought to mind the angst we had as older parents (37 & 41 at the time of the twins' birth) & early recipients of fertility treatments, the long-term outcome which was largely unknown 30 years ago...So, we will be praying intensely for your family for Whatever Miracle the Lord sees fit to deliver upon! (He always surprises us, how something like what He comes up with never even occurred to us to ask!) In YOUR weakness, He has promised to be strong....We love the BlueLetterBible.org website for finding pertinent verses. See: the results of word search on "weakness", the NKJV or NLT: http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=weakness&t=NLT#s=s_primary_0_1. This is my first prayer for your family! God bless, gentle hugs! Ellen & Keith Weeks